The Workhouse Chapel
The Workhouse Chapel in Bath Road, Sturminster Newton was built in 1891 to serve the Union Poorhouse. The facade of the Poorhouse is still visible on the Social Services building next door. The Chapel was built on land, and with money, donated by local wealthy landowners. The Clayton and Bell East window was added 7 years after the completion of the building as a memorial to the gentleman who donated the money.
It was last used as a place of worship in 1969, after which it was used as a store, and then twenty years later as the Town Museum. When The Museum found warmer and brighter premises in the centre of town, it fell into disuse.
In 2012 it was bought by Rose and Bob Hatcher, who added an in-keeping and architecturally sympathetic extension housing a kitchen and loo on the south side, and a mezzanine floor to the West end. It is now a studio/workshop/gallery and hosts regular shows and events, including the highly anticipated and well attended Handmade for Christmas, featuring over 60 South West based artists and makers.
To find out more about what's on or coming up, sign up to our newsletter HERE